Gallipoli 2015 social media competition
01 September 2014
The Ministry of Youth Development with support from the New Zealand Defence Force are running a competition to select three youth ambassadors to travel to Gallipoli, Turkey in April as part of the World War 100 commemorations. Applications close Monday 15 September at 9am.
On this page:
What is the competition?
The Ministry of Youth Development is running a competition to select three youth ambassadors to be part of the New Zealand youth ambassadors delegation to go to Gallipoli, Turkey in April 2015. The aim is to select young people who are social media savvy and will be able to utilise social media to show the activities from Gallipoli with other New Zealanders.
The process of the competition is as follows:
1. Apply online below by Monday 15 September at 9am
2. Applicants are shortlisted
3. Shortlisted applicants will be asked to run a social media campaign from Friday 26 September to Friday 3 October
4. Young people are selected by the New Zealand Defence Force, on the recommendation of the Ministry of Youth Development.
For more information on the competition please refer to the FAQs below.
What is Gallipoli 2015?
On 25 April 2015, New Zealand will join Australia and Turkey to commemorate the centenary of the ANZAC landings on the Gallipoli Peninsula in Turkey. What followed in 1915 was a bitter eight-month campaign, with many lives lost.
Who is going to Gallipoli 2015?
Of the 10,500 attendance passes, Australia will receive 8,000, New Zealand 2,000 and the remaining 500 will be reserved for those from Turkey, official representation from other countries involved in the conflict, and a small number of VIPs from Australia and New Zealand.
For more information please go to www.gallipoli2015.govt.nz
Who are the youth ambassadors?
The youth ambassadors will be 25 young people, including the three winners of the social media competition, who will attend the Gallipoli 2015 commemorations.
The three young people from this competition will provide social media content of the Gallipoli 2015 commemoration.
There will be some commitments from all youth ambassadors prior to departing for Turkey and upon thier return.
For more information on the youth ambassadors, please refer to the FAQs below.
Who can apply?
The competition is open to young people who meet all of the following criteria:
- be a New Zealand citizen or resident
- be aged 17-19 years old during April 2015
- a current holder of a Passport or be able to obtain one by 28 February 2015
- be able to travel to Turkey on a New Zealand Passport or required visa if travelling on a different Passport
- be able to access social media platforms during the competition
- be able to attend a two day workshop in Wellington during March 2015 (dates TBC)
- be able to travel to Turkey for three weeks in April 2015 (dates TBC)
- be able to self-administer any required medication
- be phyisically fit and able to walk over rugged terrain for periods of over 90 minutes and offer light assistance to others
The application process will be completed in two parts.
To be considered for the social media competition you must complete the application form below before Monday 15 September at 9am.
The social media campaign is the second part of the competition process and a shortlisted group of applicants will be asked to compete.
It would be run over:
Applicants may select which social media channels they wish to use for the campaign.
The shortlisted applicants will be given information as to what the social media campaign will involve and how they will be judged.