Small Communities Youth Grant Fund
The Small Communities Youth Grant Fund aims to support young people from New Zealand’s island communities to apply for grants of between $2,000 - $5,000 for youth-led initiatives and activities for and by young people aged 12 to 24 years.
About the Small Communities Youth Grant Fund
The Ministry of Youth Development is encouraging young people, aged 12 to 24, to design projects that develop their skills, knowledge, and experience to confidently participate in; and positively contribute to their communities.
We will directly work with New Zealand’s small island communities to ensure our processes to access small-grants are fit for purpose. For example, we are aware that young residents from some of these communities maybe away at a mainland boarding school when other funding rounds are open for applications.
The Ministry of Youth Development will also consider supporting initiatives being delivered in our main centres to be made available to youth from New Zealand’s island communities, at a time, and in a way that meets their needs.
Frequently asked questions
What is the ‘Small Communities’ Youth Grant Fund?
The ‘Small Communities’ Youth Grant Fund provides funding assistance towards projects that support young people, aged 12 to 24, residing in New Zealand’s small island communities to gain skills and experience to achieve and participate confidently their communities.
Why was the ‘Small Communities’ Youth Grant Fund established?
The Ministry of Youth Development established the ‘Small Communities’ Youth Grant Fund to ensure young people from New Zealand’s island communities have access to similar opportunities to their peers from mainland New Zealand.
Information available to the Ministry of Youth Development indicates that New Zealand’s island communities are not always in a position to align themselves to apply for funding when a funding round is open. For example, young people maybe away at a mainland school and not available to contribute to a funding application.
How is the ‘Small Communities’ Youth Grant Fund different from other funds?
The key difference for young people will be that the ‘Small Communities’ Youth Grant Fund will be available to them when they are available to make applications for funding.
Examples of projects the Ministry of Youth Development would consider funding include initiatives to:
- facilitate young people’s active contribution to decision-making and develop young people’s leadership skills
- enable young people to implement projects and events in their communities.
How much funding is available?
There is a total budget of $50,000 per year, for the next three years, for allocation.
For the ‘Small Communities’ Youth Grant Fund the minimum amount that can be awarded to a project is $2,000 (GST exclusive) per year and the maximum amount is $5,000 (GST exclusive) per year.
We will accept applications for projects running over 1, 2 or 3 years.
Who can access the ‘Small Communities’ Youth Grant Fund?
- Individuals or groups of young people aged 12 to 24 years old who have the support of a legal entity, for example a community group or youth organisation who will hold the funds in their bank account.
- Organisations working in partnership with young people.
- NOTE: Organisations supporting young people or applying for funding need to be a legal entity, e.g. an incorporated society or charitable trust (and registered with the Companies Office).
What types of outcomes will funded projects achieve?
Fund recipients will be required to report on the following expected outcomes:
- Increasing young people’s resilience through:
- increased personal and/or social identity
- increased sense of self-worth and/or self-esteem
- increased ability to manage change or loss
- increased social networks
- increased optimism for the future
- Increasing young people’s capability through:
- improved decision-making skills
- improved communication skills
- improved self-management skills
- improved problem-solving skills
- improved relationship skills
- increasing participation and/or contribution to their community
- a minimum of 80% of young people engaging in volunteering and/or activities that contribute to their communities
- a minimum of 80% of young people completing the Participant Survey.
For more information about the ‘Small Communities’ Youth Grant Fund contact:
Small Communities Youth Grant Fund
Ministry of Youth Development
PO Box 1556
Phone: 04 916 3300